Greetings, my majestic Starbabies! WhiteMoon Matt here (aka GroxsBellyLint).
I’m excited to announce that the StarBlood Arena Patch 1.07 will be going live this Tuesday, Nov. 21st! Before I dive into the nuts and bolts of the patch notes, I’d like to commend our amazing community for being THE reason that this patch is so special. There’s an oldies song that describes our relationship perfectly – “You are everything, and everything is you.”
All of our patches to this point have been guided by feedback from the players – but 1.07 is unique because it’s gone one step beyond that. This time, the players came to us with a document outlining what they’d like to see happen for the future of SBA, so that very doc is where we started when we got to work on 1.07. The goal of this patch is to create a faster, more robust multiplayer experience, based on what we’ve learned since launch about player experience and behavior. This is especially important in VR, which is why your feedback has made all the difference!
It’s been so hard for me to keep this patch a secret. We’re introducing a BIG change to the arena - for the better! If you read the patch notes, you will notice that Bots are now a part of the ranked multiplayer experience. I thought it might be a good idea to share how the bots will work and our thought process behind them. I can assure you, this is something we labored over to make sure that the bots were a thoughtful, positive addition to the game. Something that ENHANCES the experience rather than merely supplements it.
The deal with bots:
Our first task when considering bots is “how will this impact the players”? When taking on this challenge, we had to think about things like leaderboards, overall experience, bot appearance, behavior, names etc. Basically - how do we make this the best experience possible?
Here’s how we’ve decided to handle it:
The bots of StarBlood Arena have character! We wanted to make sure that the transition to bots is as seamless and fun as possible. The bot pilots have randomized skins, ships and names related to their character, as well as hand picked names for each bot. We want to make sure that they fit into the StarBlood Arena ecosystem just as much as any of our players. We had to walk a careful line between making sure they blend in, but also to make sure that players can get a feel for which pilots are human and which are not. We think we struck a good balance here.
We also had to consider the skill level of the bots – making sure they’re a challenge to our veteran players, but not a firing squad to new players. We did a lot of internal testing and came up with a skill level that seems to capture what we’re looking for. Besides, we realize that a brand new player will likely get stomped by our vets anyway ;P Maybe the bots will go a little easier on them, maybe not, either way - GIT GUD!!
The other items you will notice in the patch notes have to do with quality of life issues – such as adjustments to Crew play, Gridiron goals, power ups and important bug fixes!
Lastly, we’ve resolved an issue some players had reported where they were having trouble connecting to the SBA game servers. We believe that our resolution has fixed this issue completely however, if anyone is experiencing this please feel free to drop us a line in the forums or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, all of this is because of our community. If we didn’t have such a dedicated family playing this game and supporting our efforts – it wouldn’t even be possible for ourselves or our tremendous partners at Sony to continue work on the title. It just wouldn’t make sense. This one’s for you.
LOVE AND ROCKETS,
WhiteMoon Dreams, Sony San Diego Studio and Matt
StarBlood Arena 1.07 Patch Notes
● Added bots to ranked multiplayer matches - ● ” Added bots to ranked multiplayer matches Bots – Bots will not appear on leaderboards, XP still gained through fighting them online.
● The new bots of StarBlood Arena feature randomized ship attachments, paint schemes and skins
● Hand picked names assigned to each bot to reflect their place in the SBA universe
● Improved matchmaking flow. With the addition of bots, we’ve done work server side to optimize human and bot connection. Matches will start much sooner and humans will always be prioritized when filling a server
● All Ranked matches will now be full, 8 player games
● Single Player Bots system updated with new custom, randomized bots as well.
Improvements to Crew System
● More than 4 Players can now join a crew (Up to 8, excluding Invaders mode.)
● Crews with more than 4 players will be randomized in team based events
● Crews will now be allowed to play ranked Carnage matches
Improvements to Gridiron and Power-ups:
● Quarry / Outpost / Comet Station / Ascent / Innerspace / Altar / Grotto / Sanctum Gridiron goals and ball spawn locations have been adjusted for a more competitive, balanced experience
● Power ups spawn time has been reduced to 45 seconds, and respawn time has been reduced to 65 seconds – allowing for 4 power ups in a normal 5 minute match, and 5 in an overtime scenario.
● Power-ups have been updated across all maps except: Graveyard / Outpost / & Altar to include a better mix (IE, replacing vampshot/exposure for supercharged/quickshot/ or fortified). Some placements have been changed as well where needed to support Gridiron changes.
● Fixed damage over time bug (Associated with high level Plasma Rounds mod for Baron, Blade and TikTakToh).